We have lived near the development for 14 years or so. We regularly use the paths near the Beult and through the farm for family walks. Part of the beauty of the area is that much of the southern side of the Beult is not regularly visited - this gives wildfowl a chance to nest and rear young. Each year we see swans and signets along this stretch of the river. We feel that the proposal to shift the right of way to a made up nature path within 5m of the riverbank will effectively destroy this habitat.
I also have concern about the disposal of manure from the development. The proposal seems to indicate that 70% (note, the applicant's estimate) of the manure is captured within the sheds and this represents 6 truckloads of manure a week that is removed from the farm. This sounds pretty effective until you turn it around. The remaining 30% of the manure - representing approximately 3 truckloads a week - is deposited on the farm. Going forwards, this would mean that the farm will receive around 150 truckloads of chicken manure per year forever. Once the ground is pecked clean and hammered flat by 196,000 chickens, what will stop this manure being washed into the Beult?
The picture is of the Fridays free range farm that is opposite the entrance to Bedgebury. This is a single barn (of 3 in all) that is approximately 200m long. It was given permission in 2015 (Tunbridge Wells 14/ 502971). This is the level of destruction that has occurred after only a few years of organic egg production. Part of the mitigation of the impact of this development was the planting of 14,000 trees - many of these scrub trees, for shading the birds, can be seen in this image.