I think that the "but" addition to the signage, announced today, is brilliant. I don't know to what extent the organisers are aware of the similar (and very successful) campaign to keep Fridays out of Horsmonden a few years ago, but for those who are unfamiliar with the background, all the documents associated with the application for planning permission may be found at
I also understand that Horsmonden Parish Council rejected the application on the following grounds :
– The Highways aspects: lorries would have to negotiate a 90-degree bend to get in and out of the site.
– There would be no controls over where lorries would go once permission was granted.
– Environmental impact on woodland
– Size of the proposed building
– Run-off from the exposed land
– Lack of opportunity for employment
– The economic benefits do not outweigh the environmental impact on an AONB
– There is no comparable use of land in the area.
Not all of these are equally applicable to Chainhurst, but many are.